Summer 2022 VC Intern
Summer 2022 VC Intern
Located in Chicago Illinois, mHUB is the country’s leading independent hardtech and manufacturing innovation center that exists to convene the entrepreneurial ecosystem around physical product innovation to ensure that the manufacturing industry continues to accelerate, grow, and thrive. The mHUB community includes over 450+ active and alumni startups and small businesses supported by a deep talent pool of product designers and developers, entrepreneurs, engineers and manufacturers, corporate leaders, industry experts, mentors, and investors.
mHUB’s Product Impact Fund I is a $15M venture fund that invests in seed and early-stage physical product and hardtech companies with deployment from 2020 to 2023. mHUB’s Product Impact Fund is designed to support the acceleration of early-stage hardtech innovation in the U.S. The fund intends to invest in 50-60 startups that participate in six sector-specific cohorts (i.e., 8-10 per cohort) of mHUB’s Accelerated Incubation program. The Fund is led by Haven Allen, CEO & Co-Founder of mHUB; Israel Idonije, Former Chicago Bear & Founder of FBRK Impact House; Steve Koch, Former Deputy Mayor of Chicago & Managing Director at the Bowline Group; and Mark Tebbe, Chairman at ChicagoNEXT & Adjunct Professor of Entrepreneurship at University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
About the Role:
mHUB is looking for a VC Intern to collaborate with the team in growing and sustaining the organization’s venture-related initiatives. Working directly with the Development and Venture teams, the VC Intern will actively support mHUB’s Accelerated Incubation program, Product Impact Fund, and the growth of the organization’s future Venture Fund(s).
This is an exciting opportunity to work with dynamic entrepreneurs, leading corporations, and seasoned investors to gain hands-on experience in the Chicago startup and venture capital industry. Candidates should be a highly-motivated, self-starter, creative thinker with excellent interpersonal skills, and are passionate about the Midwest venture ecosystem.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Work alongside leadership on high-impact, growth-related projects that will accelerate mHUB’s market leadership in the hardtech and manufacturing ecosystem, including the development and initiation of mHUB’s 2nd & 3rd Funds.
- Assist in building and maintaining a pipeline of potential investors, portfolio companies, corporate sponsors, partners, etc. and ensure the team has ample support in activating those leads
- Organize and create relevant resources needed to provide ongoing support to portfolio companies
- Support in investor relations, administration, and due diligence
- Perform market research on our industry and other relevant markets
- Collaborate on executive and board presentations
- Contribute to fundraising efforts
- All responsibilities are dynamic and evolve throughout the term based on priorities
- MBA or actively pursuing an MBA; Bachelor’s degree required
- Pre-MBA work experience of 2+ years
- Desire to work in a high-growth, entrepreneurial culture
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Cross-functional communication
- Prior experience conducting research projects and effectively presenting findings to leadership
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks conforming to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e. Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Authorized to work in the United States
Salary and Duration:
A stipend of $1,000 per month will be provided. The internship will last a minimum of 11 weeks between May 2022 to the end of August 2022, depending on the applicant’s academic calendar year, with an opportunity for extension beyond the summer.
To apply, please submit the following items by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- LinkedIn Page
mHUB is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.